Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Day After (July 2, 2006)

If you ever wanted to know what it feels like to see a stake driven into the heart of a nation - then welcome to England after being bounced from the Wold Cup. Yesterday, I watched the England / Portugal match in the Kings Street Run, with a down-to-earth soccer loving crowd. After spending three hours with such an enthusiastic set of guys and girls, you can’t help but share in their agony.

My consolation was watching Brazil get thrashed by a superb group of frenchmen. The French are getting stronger with every game, and I look forward to cheering them on when they play Portugal next week. Only 2 more games to go and then I won’t be watching soccer for months.

I’m a soccer-junkie. I know. I love to play soccer. I love to watch soccer. I love to talk about soccer. I love to teach people how to play the game. But a World Cup is almost too much soccer. It pushes the limit of your dedication to the sport - especially when your country is no longer in the competition. The saving grace is that as the tournament moves forward, the tenacity grows and the quality of play and players (usually) rises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home